Rich $alz is still alive ??!!!??!!

Larry A. Shurr shurr at cbnews.att.com
Fri Nov 30 04:50:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov28.020040.5518 at looking.on.ca>, brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
} USENET is now a few times larger than when most of us moderators signed on.
} [Moderators are out of time, quitting, and they keep getting abuse]

} Source and binary group moderating is probably one of the toughest jobs.
} [Lots of things to take care of]

} When it comes to source and binary moderating, it may be the case that you
} start to get what you pay for.  The people doing it should get some
} compensation.  I know Rich is against this, but sometimes I think it may be
} the only way.   If there are 30,000 readers for a source group, then a
} pittance of few dollars/year would hire a good moderator.  I doubt it will
} happen, though.

Nope, that solution is too sensible... not allowed...

What?  OK!  OK!  :-) :-) :-), just a little levity, alright?

Seriously, though.  This is a problem which I think we need to confront.
'Course in saying that, I'm likely to get a response saying "Fine!  You
confront it," but Elm has a 'D' key and rn has a 'K' key for situations
like that.

I don't moderate anything on the net, but I've noticed that despite my
increasing selectivity, I'm still saving more than I have time to "self-
moderate;" i.e., evaluating what I've saved and deciding what to keep.
At that, I have the advantage of getting my stuff largely from moderated
sources from which much chaff has already been eliminated or from ftp
sources where I specifically choose the items.

The point is, if I have difficulty coping with the flow I pick out of the
stream just for myself, what must it be like for someone, who's receiving
a flood of submissions, from which they must pick and choose what to pass
on to us?  Where would they find the "spare" time for that activity?  For
the PC and MAC worlds, there are whole profit-making enterprises employing
people full-time to perform an equivalent task (I realize that many of
these "shareware distributors" are not really very serious enterprises and
may be wanting in their ethical practices, but others are quite serious
and really do what they say they do).

I don't have the resources to commit to moderating a newsgroup and I sure
as heck can't commit a client's resources.  Even if I had the resources, I
don't know when I would find the time to do it.  Since I'm not indepen-
dently wealthy, I can't hire anybody to do it.  Any proposals for how to
fund a moderation project?  (That question probably won't go anywhere,
either).

regards, Larry
--
Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las at att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
The end of the world has been delayed due to a shortage of trumpet players.