Telnet and downloading files

Ron Srodawa srodawa at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Sun Nov 4 16:02:09 AEST 1990

In article <10204 at ur-cc.UUCP> dsew at uhura.cc.rochester.edu (David Sewell) writes:

>   My intuition is that the answer to this is "no," but I'm just not
>sure.
>   If I log in to a local Unix host through a dial-in connection,
>and then use telnet to connect to a remote site, is it possible to
>download a file to my PC using the telnet site's communication
>program?...

The answer is yes.  I do this all the time using Kermit.  Now, Kermit has
the attribute that its stream contains only printable characters..no control
characters at all.  You do have, with Xmodem and friends, the possibility
that you will send the telnet escape sequence thus popping telnet back
into its command mode.
Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa at unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa at egrunix.UUCP          |