mounting multiple drives at root

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Fri Nov 9 17:24:28 AEST 1990

In article <24961 at adm.BRL.MIL> WEBBG at wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu ( Geoff Webb) writes:
-Right now my root file system is sitting on my 65meg drive. I am going
-to add another 40meg drive very soon and would like to know if I can set it
-up to mount at root. I would rather have one file system of 105meg
-then two smaller ones.

Normal UNIX systems do not support mounting a file system on a directory
in an "appending" mode, only in a "replacing" mode.  (Plan 9 does.)

However, it shouldn't be a big problem.  Reserve the first 65MB for system
software (and commercial applications) and the 40MB filesystem for user data.