Retrieve keyboard commands like VM/CMS

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Fri Nov 2 12:13:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov1.121612.724 at vax5.cit.cornell.edu> joc at vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Is there a way to retrieve previously typed commands in UNIX similar
>to the way IBM's VM/CMS does it, ie, hit the retrieve key and the
>previous command appears and may now be edited on the command line?

Similar functionality has been implemented in several versions of both
the Bourne/Korn shell and the C-shell, and there have also been some
separate interactive editing "wrappers" posted in the past.  Many
terminals and windowing systems now support interactive mouse-driven
edit-displayed-text-and-send-as-though-typed; the AT&T 630 I'm typing
this one has such a feature.

If you have a UNIX System V Release 2 or later source license and send
a copy of it to me along with a reel of 1/2" magtape, I can put the
sources for the BRL version of the Bourne shell on it and return it to
you.  Our version supports essentially all the useful user-interface
features found in various enhanced Bourne/Korn and C- shells, without
some of the unnecessary baggage.  I'm sure you can also find ways to
obtain "bash", "tcsh" (yuck), and other enhanced shells.  Have fun.