Seeking SideKick-/spreadsheet-type functionality for AT&T 3B2

Jay Maynard jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 30 14:55:46 AEST 1990

In article <E6R6K6C at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I never did understand this fascination with "calculator emulators". It makes
>no sense to draw a dinky little keypad on the screen when you have a perfectly
>good keyboard right in front of you. I mean, calculators are becoming closer
>and closer to handling standard computer expression syntax anyway... because
>it's friendlier. Why step backwards to a more hostile environment when you
>have "bc" shipped with UNIX?

bc is much less user-friendly than, say, an HP-16C...or the rpn program
that emulates it (albeit incompletely) for Unix. I have to wrestle bc to
get an answer out of it, but I can get answers out of a 16C without having
to think about it...kinda like WordStar.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.