Why idle users should be killed (was Re: Preventing Idle in telnet)

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Sat Oct 6 16:55:26 AEST 1990

In article <1763 at tub.UUCP> net at tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) writes:
> In article <10547:Oct220:47:2290 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> > Is it my fault that one program solves so many problems?
> Yes.  ``Do one thing well''.

But that's what I did! I swear! I mean, it'd even chop a hundred lines
out of your ``screen'' program, while improving portability, if you used
pty! And out of telnetd and expect and window and lots of other programs!
Doesn't this qualify as doing one thing (pseudo-tty management) well?

Sort of like ``cat'', I think, except that cat has been around somewhat
longer. :-)

---Dan