Unix software and USSR

Matthew Farwell dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 23:55:24 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep27.220758.1185 at cti-software.nl> pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>>|#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>>|Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
>>|I get:
>>|	XX0/imINzSUs.
>>|This makes me wonder: who has got the real thing :-).
>
>>Vadim does, grrrrr. I had exactly the same result. I am in Europe too,
>>we have the modified version of the crypt routine because, as mentioned,
>>the real version may not be exported outside of the US.
>>Ridiculous isn't it?
>
>I have both the international and the (USA) domestic versions of
>the crypt library on our System V/386 machine and they both
>yield XX0/imINzSUs.
>
>The manual states the only difference between the libraries
>is that decryption is not available in the international version.
>What's the last word on this subject?

The last word is that the crypt that unix runs isn't DES. Its a modified
form of DES. What this means, effectively is that people can't build
a DES chip to try and crack passwords for unixen derived from the US,
but they can for the soviet one.

Dylan.
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
Harrow HA1 4LQ England            | CONNECT - Usenet Access in the UK!!
Phone: +44 81-863-1191            | Sun? Don't they make coffee machines?