Unix software and USSR

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Sat Sep 29 01:43:07 AEST 1990

In <1990Sep27.220758.1185 at cti-software.nl> pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

>>|#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>>|Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
>>|I get:
>>|	XX0/imINzSUs.
>>|This makes me wonder: who has got the real thing :-).
>>|Leendert

>>Vadim does, grrrrr. I had exactly the same result. I am in Europe too,
>>we have the modified version of the crypt routine because, as mentioned,
>>the real version may not be exported outside of the US.
>>Ridiculous isn't it?

>I have both the international and the (USA) domestic versions of
>the crypt library on our System V/386 machine and they both
>yield XX0/imINzSUs.

>The manual states the only difference between the libraries
>is that decryption is not available in the international version.
>What's the last word on this subject?

Well I don't know about the last word, but the C comment he posted is most
certainly from crypt.c as contained in BSD 4.1. Whether this is the same as
in v7 I do not know, nor do I know how and when things changed. The only
thing I do know is the the NSA (or whoever was responsible for not allowing
export of the DES code), are the biggest load of idiots that I have ever had
the misfortune to know of. As was pointed out, the standard was published,
it's been re-implemented N times, things travel by Email or floppy etc. Why don't
they just admit defeat and let it be exported ?!? It has unpleasant implications
for such things as secure NFS, if not - it's hard to run if you can't have a DES
chip in your machine :-( :-(

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Dell Computer Corp. (UK), Bracknell  | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"