How to prevent VI from getting a shell?

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 07:01:10 AEST 1990

In article <570 at DIALix.UUCP> bernie at DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) writes:

> set SHELL in the environment to something which doest nothing, say
> /bin/true.  vi forks-execs whatever SHELL is defined to be, or the
> shell if undefined.

I don't know about *your* version of vi, but mine lets you defeat this
by doing :set shell=/bin/sh

I got around the problem by binary patching out the call to fork() in
vi.  Ugh.  Also, I never found a way to defeat letting the user read and
write files other than the current file.  Any offers ?

--
my .signature is on holiday