How to prevent VI from getting a shell?

Thomas Omerzu omerzu at quando.quantum.de
Mon Sep 17 23:44:36 AEST 1990

In article <570 at DIALix.UUCP> bernie at DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) writes:

>In article <501 at trux.UUCP> car at trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>>If I want to give someone access to VI and yet deny them access to a shell,
>>how do I prevent the user from using VI's "<ESC>:!" command?
>
>set SHELL in the environment to something which doest nothing, say
>/bin/true.  vi forks-execs whatever SHELL is defined to be, or the
>shell if undefined.

NO!

Although this will work for many applications,
it won't work for vi!

If you 'set SHELL /bin/true' the user will not be able to get
a shell, that's true.
BUT: THIS DOES NOT PREVENT THE USER FROM RESETTING THE SHEL VARIABLE!

If that user does a: ':set shell /bin/sh'
he _will_ get a shell on further requests!!!

So long,
	Thomas.

Thomas Omerzu      UUCP:     ...!unido!quando!omerzu / omerzu at quando.uucp
  Quantum GmbH,    Bitnet:   UNIDO!quando!omerzu / omerzu%quando at UNIDO(.bitnet)
Dortmund, Germany  Internet: omerzu at quando.quantum.de