nroff page length

Dan Mercer mercer at npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM
Tue Sep 11 01:56:21 AEST 1990

In article <807 at ofssrv.syssup.tds.philips.nl> karl at syssup.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Karl Lovink) writes:
:I have ported some programs to our Unix System V machine and
:now I am trying to print out the manual pages.
:I have installed the AT&T Documenters Work Bench.
:Attached to my system there is a HP Laserjet II printer, and when
:I print out the manual pages, the every page is 2 lines too long.
:Now I can edit all the files and strip two lines on every page,
:but I think there should be a better way to handle this.
:By the way I tried already .pl, this makes no difference.

Our LaserPrinter prints 60 lines per page.  I created my own tmac and
macro files (our tmac files .so macro files,  where real nroff source
resides.)  the file /usr/lib/tmac.c10 has one line:

.so /usr/lib/macros/c10

the /usr/lib/macros/c10 file is a duplicate of /usr/lib/macros/an with
one additional line:

.pl 60v

The v tells nroff to use lines,  not linear measurement.

I invoke the command:

nroff -mc10 files | lpr -b

I'm no nroff wizard,  and I had to experiment to find the right
place to put the line.  I hope this helps.

:Could somebody give me a clue how to do this, I'am not
:really familiar with nroff and others.
:
:
:
:--
:    ( )     Karl Lovink  Philips Information Systems, Netherlands
:  } @ @ {   Department: Systems Support Optical Filing
:-- |___| -- UUCP: uunet!mcsun!philapd!idcapd!ofssrv!karl
:  _/   \_   NET : karl at ofssrv.syssup.tds.philips.nl

--

Dan Mercer
"MAN - the only one word oxymoron in the English Language"