Recurring problem in root filesystem

Jeff Beadles jeff at onion.pdx.com
Thu Sep 6 13:50:57 AEST 1990

brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>Wait a minute. Can't you chroot() to another filesystem, then remount
>the original root below the new one? I haven't tested this but it seems
>like it should work on an otherwise unused system.

You can't mount the same physical partition on a local system twice.
(You can via NFS though, but fsck is useless there :-)

Doesn't the SYSV 3.2 fsck do something like remounting the root filesystem?  I
haven't looked at that area of the code, but I recall some strange looking
message when I had non-fatal problems on the root fs that was fixed...

	-Jeff
Jeff Beadles  jeff at onion.pdx.com  jeff at quark.wv.tek.com