Recurring problem in root filesystem

Derek Terveer det at cimcor.mn.org
Wed Sep 5 04:19:38 AEST 1990

In article <15590:Sep402:41:0190 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> In article <4010 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> > >Try running fsck on the *unmounted* root filesystem,
> > Try unmounting the root filesystem first.  Good luck....
>
> Wait a minute. Can't you chroot() to another filesystem, then remount
> the original root below the new one? I haven't tested this but it seems
> like it should work on an otherwise unused system.

Wait a minute.  This shouldn't be necessary at all -- at least in
system V.  Bring the system down into single user and then run fsck on
the Block Device for root (not the char device).  For example:

fsck /dev/dsk/0s1

Since one can't unmount root while one is running from it, it makes
sense that one should be able to fsck it while you one is running on
it.  The alternative is to boot from some other media (another disk, a
tape, etc) and *then* run fsck on either the blocked or raw root
partition.

derek
--
temporarily:  			derek at cimcor.MN.ORG
as soon as i get my pc back:	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG