Command line vs. call from a program

Mark Winsor wmark at wb3ffv.ampr.org
Sat Sep 29 14:09:31 AEST 1990

I have a need to be able to tell if a program has been invoked from the
command line or called through a specific program. I have a menu system
that requires that I have root permissions for some admin utilities. I'd
like to have a setuid program that execs shell scripts but only want it
to execute if it is called by my menu system. Any good ideas as to how to
accomplish this? I tried setting the process group idea but this closes
/dev/tty which is not acceptable. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mark S. Winsor
Systems Analyst
ProVAR, Inc.