Unix software and USSR

P.Garbha pgd at bbt.se
Fri Sep 28 20:29:28 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep27.165746.2035 at hq.demos.su> avg at hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:
>>> 	Anyway if you don't believe me try to compile and run the following
>>> 	program:
>>
>>> 	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>
>	Hmmm... It seems to me there are a whole lot of DES versions
>	floating around. Secrecy paranoya yielded the fruits: another
>	point of incompatibility in Unixes. (If you like to use
>	crypt in net programs you should attach your own version of crypt
>	instead of system provided one).
>
>	(The comment from the beginning of crypt.c I have:
>
>/*
> * This program implements the
> * Proposed Federal Information Processing
> *  Data Encryption Standard.
> * See Federal Register, March 17, 1975 (40FR12134)
> */

Hey, i have the same comments, but I don't get the same result.
If I compile with cc I get:
	XX0/imINzSUs.
If I compile with gcc I get:
	XX3FF./IFI/II

I guess that means that I have the modified version, but whoever
modified it did not leave any comments about it.

Does anyone know what modifications have been done?
For different reasons i had to replace the login program.
Unfortunately the original (Xenix) login program is using another
encryption algorithm (maybe the original DES?), so now some utilities
does not work. Like su, single-user-login, passwd, etc. And I don't
have sources for those programs.

Of course that increases the safety -- you cannot "su root" any more :-)