Why is my Unix limiting me to 10 semaphores?

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Fri Sep 21 10:22:50 AEST 1990

cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>For many of the things in the mtune file, someone has picked what they
>think is a "reasonable" maximum and not what is really the "true"
>maximum.  This is the case with the ULIMIT parameter and probably the
>SEMMNI parameter as well.  The only way to know is to change it, rebuild
>the kernel, and reboot.

funny, just what i thought yesterday about NMOUNT (max mountpoints).
if they do say blah[NMOUNT] i should be able to set this to whatever
is "reasonable" (i.e. not 99999999 or somesuch sh*t) without wasting
memory. for instance under xenix you can have up to *18* hard disks,
and that means *lots* of mount points.
interactive thinks 25 filesystems is max, but if i connect four 1.5GB
disks (on one scsi host adapter, it supports *two* -- can i connect *8*
disks??) this might not be enough. i'm already at 10 filesystems with
800MB hard disk space.
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume at scuzzy.in-berlin.de   FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume at scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93