nroff page length

wolf paul wnp at iiasa.AT
Tue Sep 4 22:23:38 AEST 1990

In article <807 at ofssrv.syssup.tds.philips.nl> karl at syssup.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Karl Lovink) writes:
>Attached to my system there is a HP Laserjet II printer, and when
>I print out the manual pages, the every page is 2 lines too long.
>    ( )     Karl Lovink  Philips Information Systems, Netherlands

Since you are in the Netherlands, this has probably to do with
European vs. US page sizes.

U.S. letter size is exactly 11 inches, or 66 normal 6 lpi lines long.

The corresponding European size is A4, which is 11.69 inches long.

However, before the advent of Laser Printers, most of Europe used endless
fan-fold paper where each sheet was 12 inches (72 lines) long.

What is probably happening is that your tmac.an macro file has been
set up with the idea that A4 is 12 inches long, which is not true.

Look through /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.an (or possibly /usr/lib/macros/an)
and find the page length specs, which should be 12", and change it
to 11.69".

NOTE: You should do this on a COPY of the file so if something goes
wrong (I don't guarantee my advice!) you still have the original.
--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp