Named Pipes across NFS?

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Fri Apr 26 08:09:23 AEST 1991

In article <it1.672572450 at Isis.MsState.Edu> it1 at Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) writes:
>  In my case, I have my .plan set up as a named pipe and a daemon that
>searches the process table for the finger process when awaken.  This
>will only catch fingerers from the local host, which was fine, but if a
>NFS-mounted station tries to read my .plan, it blocks, and causes
>erratic behavior with the daemon until .plan is read from the original
>host.

I see.  This is a difficult problem to solve, unless you can arrange to run
your daemon on every system that mounts your home directory.

Even if named pipes worked across NFS, what would you expect the result of
this to be?  How would you find the fingerer in the process table when the
fingerer is on a different system?
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com