Type-ahead in unix

Kee Hinckley nazgul at alphalpha.com
Sat Apr 13 09:36:42 AEST 1991

In article <+G-_A&=@warwick.ac.uk> cudcv at warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) writes:
>I've used it. I *hated* it.  You keep having to scan up and down between the
>commands you're typing and their results.  That and the abysmal reaction when
What do you mean?  The only visual difference is a small horizontal line.

>you enter and leave a cbreak/curses application like an editor, or less: when
>I leave less, I want the last thing I've been looking at to still be on the
>screen, thanks.
Have you used an xterm?  They don't leave vi sessions sitting on the screen
after you use them - you go back to the transcript instead.  In fact most
Mac terminal emulators do this too.

There is the problem with pads that they don't do vt100 emulator, so
they have to start a separate application for curses. So you don't see
the history even if you don't clear the screen.  But that's a misfeature
of the particular implementation - when Apollo made pads they didn't
realize that people were going to treat workstations as though they
were just a way of having lots of terminals with one keyboard.
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul at alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info at alfalfa.com

everyone else's.