Type-ahead in unix

Richard Tobin richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Wed Apr 17 22:01:37 AEST 1991

In article <-Q=_Y$_ at warwick.ac.uk> cudcv at warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) writes:
>On a constructive note, I used to quite like the Burroughs MCP/CANDE approach
>of holding up output while you were half-way through an input line, allowing
>you to see and edit the line you were typing, and then releasing it when you
>hit return, until you had typed the first character of the next line.

This can be a pain if you've inadvertently typed something - you're
left wondering where the output's gone.  It's particularly annoying
if you make the mistake RSX-11 made and don't release the output if
the user deletes the input.  It would also be good to have a way of
releasing the output without hitting return or losing the input.

-- Richard
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin at uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin