Files for all devices??

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Wed Apr 3 04:48:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr1.203925.19204 at sci.ccny.cuny.edu>
jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jeffrey L Bromberger) writes:
>So, how come no [/dev] entry for the DEUNA ethernet card?  I realize it's
>configured as a pseudo-device ...

Actually, it is configured as a regular `device':

	device	de0	at uba? csr 0174510		vector deintr

(`vector deintr' really belongs elsewhere, but this is a completely
different topic).  The argument against a /dev entry begins with
`what would you do with it?'

(Of course, the same argument can be used against block devices, which
exist primarily to give names to an internal interface.  I occasionally
argue for /dev entries for network interfaces.  Certainly `permissions
on /dev entries' is a better approach than `magic socket options'.  Alas,
you really *do* want filters inserted over top of raw interfaces.
`Protocol stacks' make sense here but the demultiplexing becomes hairy.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov