Files for all devices??

Jeffrey L Bromberger jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Tue Apr 2 06:39:25 AEST 1991

OK.  Here's a simple question.  Unfortunately, I can't think of a good
answer to it.

We're running 4.3BSD (pretty much vanilla) on a VAX (780).  In /dev,
there is a node for *every* piece of hardware.  Every tty, disk, tape,
etc. has an entry.

So, how come no entry for the DEUNA ethernet card?  I realize it's
configured as a pseudo-device, but ptys (also pseudodevices) have
entries!  Doesn't this go against the policy of "everything has a
filename"?

Many thanks in advance for any insight you can send my way.

Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility
jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu			jeffrey at ccnysci.BITNET
	Anywhere!{cmcl2,philabs,phri}!ccnysci!jeffrey