unwanted control characters in downloads

Leila Burrell-Davis leilabd at syma.sussex.ac.uk
Fri Apr 12 04:47:58 AEST 1991

wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) writes:

> In article <1991Apr9.195318.18030 at rodan.acs.syr.edu> ldstern at rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:
> >To all: when I download certain files from a Sun/4 (running SunOS 4.1), such
> >as a 'man' file, my files contain all the _^H and other sequences used in
> >that file. Is there an easy way to eliminate this?
>
> One solution could be to use vi to replace these characters:
>
> vi the_file
> :1,$s/.^H//g

We have a sed filter which will eliminate this kind of backspacing.
You need to replace <BACKSPACE> by the backspace character, ASCII 8,
then put the script in a file, make it executable and try:

	no_ul inputfile > outputfile

#-----start of script------
# no_ul - remove underline backspace char underlining escape sequences
sed \
    -e '/_<BACKSPACE>/s///g' \
$*
#-----end of script------
--
Leila Burrell-Davis, Computing Service, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Tel:   +44 273 678390              Fax:   +44 273 678470