autoexecution of a program by tty

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Thu Apr 11 04:25:48 AEST 1991

ebrill at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Edward Brill) writes:

>>  If all the people using the BBS log in as "bbs", then why don't you just
>>change the shell field in /etc/passwd for the BBS account so that the shell
>>that is invoked automatically when the bbs user logs in is the BBS program?
>>
>I was kinda hoping that it could assume that any connects on xty00 thru
>xty3f are BBS connections, and that the user wouldn't even have to face
>a login: prompt.  I am getting the feeling that this is basically
>impossible.

This is definitely possible.  Since there is a getty running for each port,
you need merely replace either the getty program or the login program.
How about taking one of the PD getty replacements and modifying it so
it does a setuid and then invokes the BBS program?  Assuming that the
BBS program waits for a command, then users would only need to press
enter or something to begin their sessions, right?