mkdir has stopped working - SCO Xen

neese at adaptx1.UUCP neese at adaptx1.UUCP
Fri Apr 19 18:29:35 AEST 1991

>/* ---------- "mkdir has stopped working - SCO Xen" ---------- */
>One of my 386 machines running Xenix 2.3.2 has suddenly refused to let
>any user, including root, from making a directory. The mkdir test command
>generates
>        mkdir: cannot make directory test
>I can create files ok.
>
>Any clues please!

Check the amount of files/directories in the directory you are trying to
create one in.  If the total is more than 999, the mkdir command will fail.
You can only have up to 1000 entries in each subdirectory.  I don't know
whether this is a file system limit or a limit imposed by mkdir.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese at adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!merch!adaptex!neese