mkdir has stopped working - SCO Xen

Dave Eisen dkeisen at leland.Stanford.EDU
Fri Apr 26 07:55:48 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr24.045214.17664 at bilver.uucp> bill at bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>>Check the amount of files/directories in the directory you are trying to
>>create one in.  If the total is more than 999, the mkdir command will fail.
>>You can only have up to 1000 entries in each subdirectory.  I don't know
>>whether this is a file system limit or a limit imposed by mkdir.
>
>Is this a problem only under Xenix.
>I don't see this limit in the manual .

I suspect this is a Xenixism. From the manual for mknod (S):

mknod will fail and the file will not be created if one or more of the
following are true:

  The directory to contain the new file cannot be extended. [ENOSPC].

There is a similar entry for all of the rest of the system calls that
create links (open, creat, link, ...).

--
Dave Eisen                           dkeisen at leland.Stanford.EDU
1101 San Antonio Raod, Suite 102     (Gang-of-Four is being taken off the net)