Type-ahead in unix

Martin Golding martin at adpplz.UUCP
Thu Apr 4 08:59:40 AEST 1991

In <15686 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>In article <659 at adpplz.UUCP> martin at adpplz.UUCP (Martin Golding) writes:
>>In <7297 at utacfd.UUCP> nomura at meap.uta.edu (S. Nomura) writes:
>>>I am accustomed to the type-ahead feature of the VAX/VMS.
>>>Is there any easy way to inplement this in unix ? Thank you.
>>Boy, are you running on the wrong OS. ...

>What the hell are you guys talking about?
>UNIX has "always" supported type-ahead.

If you call it supported. If you call that typeahead.
BTW ksh on my machine cannot process typedahead edit commands.

>I think what you are discussing is deferred echo.
>Why would you have to have that?

How about, typeahead for passwords?
How about, screen formatting programs?

I just got out of a meeting with our vendor about this very subject-
the terminal drivers are deliberately programmed against us. When
you do disk stuff, the input doesn't start until the process asks:
terminal stuff is crammed willy-nilly into the memory, so the controller
doesn't have to be annoyed by the processes.

Martin Golding                         | sync, sync, sync, sank ... sunk:
Dod #0236                              |  He who steals my code steals trash.
A Poor old decrepit Pick(tm) programmer ... Sympathize at:
{mcspdx,pdxgate}!adpplz!martin or martin at adpplz.uucp