'dump'ing NFS mounted partitions?

Jeff Nieusma nieusma at cs.colorado.edu
Fri Jan 25 07:44:24 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan23.153009.3872 at javelin.es.com>,
pashdown at javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

|> "Dumping to a remote host does not work at this point.  Mount the
|> filesystem
|> using NFS and then dump it."
|>
|> [ stuff deleted ]
|>
|> How else am I supposed to do this?  I've called Sun technical support
|> and a
|> day later, I still have yet to hear back from them.  Is it even
|> possible to
|> do a dump of an NFS mounted partition or is (the) Sun up in the night
|> (heh)?

so what's wrong with doing something like this?

tapehost# rsh machine dump 0[opts]f - | dd of=/dev/tape

You might have to play with the options of dd a bit to make it work,
but at least it's free and you don't have to deal with the complete
morons who told you to dump an NFS mounted filesystem.

| Jeff Nieusma                         Logical:  nieusma at cs.colorado.edu      |
| System Administrator/Programmer      Audible:  (303) 492-0677               |
| Computer Science Department         Physical:  Campus Box 430               |
| University of Colorado                         Boulder, CO  80309-0430      |