'dump'ing NFS mounted partitions?

Pete Ashdown pashdown at javelin.es.com
Thu Jan 24 02:30:09 AEST 1991

We just added a Fujitsu 3480 tape drive to backup our Sun systems here.
Yesterday, we finally received the modified dump/restore from Sun to work with
the 3480 tapes.  It works great, except for one fact.  It didn't come with
rdump/rrestore, which is highly needed since many machines need to be backed
up onto the one machine using the 3480.  This is what Sun had to say about it
in their documentation:

"Dumping to a remote host does not work at this point.  Mount the filesystem
using NFS and then dump it."

Sounds simple enough, so I go into the exports files on the machines that
need to be dumped and give 'root' NFS file access to the machine with the
tape drive.  I mount a partition on the machine with the tape drive and try
to dump it with a command similar to this

	dump 0[options]f [options] /dev/rst8 remotemachine:/partition

It gives me the error: Cannot open remotemachine:/partition

So I try:

	dump 0[options]f [options] /dev/rst8 /mnt

and I get Cannot find block device 130,0

How else am I supposed to do this?  I've called Sun technical support and a
day later, I still have yet to hear back from them.  Is it even possible to
do a dump of an NFS mounted partition or is (the) Sun up in the night (heh)?

--

                "I'm going under the table."  - Bernard Shaw

Pete Ashdown  pashdown at javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown