Mail

Fred Stluka stluka at software.org
Fri Jan 11 11:32:52 AEST 1991

In article <V2M+#PD at irie.ais.org> garath at ais.org (Scott Grosch) writes:

>   I use csh, and it seems to not tell me when I have new mail.  It tells me
> at login, and when I type "mail", but other than that it never does.  This
> is one advantage I see in bash shell, as it notifies me.  Is there a way to have
> csh notify?

I use:

	set mail = (1 /usr/spool/mail/$user)

Here is the excerpt from the csh man page from the section
entitled "PREDEFINED AND ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES":

     mail           Represent the files where the shell checks for mail.  This
                    is done after each command completion that results in a
                    prompt, if a specified interval has elapsed.  The shell
                    will tell you that you have new mail, if the file exists
                    with an access time not greater than its modify time.  If
                    the first word of the value of mail is numeric, it
                    specifies a different mail-checking interval (in seconds)
                    than the default (10 minutes).  If you specify multiple
                    mail files, the shell tells you that you have new mail in
                    name, when there is mail in the file name.

--Fred

Fred Stluka                          Internet: stluka at software.org
Software Productivity Consortium     UUNET:    ...!uunet!software!stluka
2214 Rock Hill Rd, Herndon VA 22070