Mail

Jim Ertle ertle at newton.uvm.edu
Fri Jan 11 05:09:36 AEST 1991

In <V2M+#PD at irie.ais.org> garath at ais.org (Scott Grosch) writes:

>  I use csh, and it seems to not tell me when I have new mail.  It tells me
>at login, and when I type "mail", but other than that it never does.  This
>is one advantage I see in bash shell, as it notifies me.  Is there a way to have
>csh notify?

    I did 'man csh' and found this variable ( set it with set command ).

     mail              A list of files where the C  shell  checks
                       for  mail.  If the first word of the value
                       is a number, it specifies a mail  checking
                       interval in seconds (default 5 minutes).

    This way, when you get mail, csh will tell you the next time you
hit return as the csh prompt.  Also, we have a program called biff
(/usr/ucb/biff) that rings your bell when you get new mail.

				Jim Ertle