.tar and .Z extensions on files -- what are they?

Gerhard Moeller Gerhard.Moeller at arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
Mon Jan 28 21:52:54 AEST 1991

06davis at ac.dal.ca writes:

>sorry folks,

>	I don't know if this is the correct newsgroup to ask this question,
>but I've been bombing around the FTP sites and have found files with extentions
	       ^^^^^^^ well, well, well...
>like .tar and .Z and have wondered if this is a unix-style archive format. If
>it is I would be interested in getting the dearchiving program or at least some
>idea where I could obtain it.

.tar files are archieved with the tar command. To extract them use
	tar xvof <file>
where tar ist the command, x means extract, v verbose (bla, bla), o owner (to
make sure you are the owner afterwards, important!) and f use file (otherwise
tar thinks you use a tape) and <file> is the filename WITH the .tar suffix.
.Z means that the file is compressed with the compress command. Use uncompress
to uncompress it. (Somehow logic)

By the way: RTFM (read the fu* manuals.. ;-) ) for *much* more info.
			Gerhard.

--

| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |