Unix vs Novell

Russell J Fulton;ccc032u russell at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Thu Jan 3 10:44:44 AEST 1991

mercer at npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:

>In article <25307 at adm.brl.mil> omega!ash at relay.eu.net (Andrew Hardie) writes:
>:Unix users -
>:
>:I need your advice and support.
>:
>:We are about to install a pilot system of around a dozen users, as a
>:precursor to a full system for around forty users, which will be used
>:to prepare textual copy for a daily publication (text only, no pics).

[stuff deleted]

>:
>:Andrew Hardie
>:London, England--
>:Andrew Hardie
>:London, England
>:ash at omega.uucp

>TCP-IP and Novell are not mutually exclusive for a variety of reasons:

>    1. Portable NetWare - runs on several different UNIX platforms -
>       including NCR Towers (700's are quite fast) - you can login to
>       perfect backup device - automatically backing up in off hours).

[stuff deleted]

>    2. NCSA Telnet - TCP-IP and Novell networking can co-reside on the
>       same PC.  In fact,  we have a Novell NetWare network that I'm

[stuff deleted]

>--
>Dan Mercer
>NCR Network Products Division      -        Network Integration Services
>"MAN - the only one word oxymoron in the English Language"

There are also mail and printer spooling software available in the public
domain. I can't remember the details (I'm not our network ghuru!) but I can
find out if you need them. Both programs are based on the Clarkson packet
drivers (which NCSA telnet uses to coexist with Novell).

Russell.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton at aukuni.ac.nz>