Unix vs Novell

Martin O'Nions martino at logitek.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 20:22:12 AEST 1991

mercer at npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:

>TCP-IP and Novell are not mutually exclusive for a variety of reasons:

>    1. Portable NetWare - runs on several different UNIX platforms -
>       including NCR Towers (700's are quite fast) - you can login to
>       the Tower across NetWare - This gives you access to TCP-IP on
>       the Tower,  use of the Tower for mass storage (using SCSI mass
>       storage controllers,  the amount of data you can store is truly
>       staggering.  Add SCSI tape units,  and the Tower can act as the
>       perfect backup device - automatically backing up in off hours).

>If you think this is a plug,  it is.

>Dan Mercer
>NCR Network Products Division      -        Network Integration Services

I agree with Dan about the suitability of Portable Netware, but am tempted to
expand slightly on the suggestion. Picking your applications with reasonable
care will allow PC databases to directly access data produced on your Unix
system. As an example (although not necessarily as a recommendation) Informix
maintains common byte ordering between systems making sharing easy (?!). Use of
the NVT (virtual terminal) to access the real world allows you to set up
background tasks to do housekeeping/backup operations whilst keeping most
operations PC based for simplicity. Don't worry about Novell administration -
its easy. Its installing PC versions of NetWare that gives people nightmares.
PNW has the quickest and cleanest installation of ANY Novell product that I
have seen, and it is suprisingly quick in operation.

Finally, to relieve this group of accusations of commercial bias, Data General
and Altos both have shipping versions of PNW, and SCO keep saying that they
are committed.......

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino at logitek.co.uk