tar

James Cameron jc at raven.bu.edu
Tue Jun 11 02:36:03 AEST 1991

[...sorry, I was brain dead earlier today...]

Serge>   I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
Serge> for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
Serge> but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
Serge> and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
Serge> such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
Serge> What shall i do ?

Serge> gilette at trinidad.inria.fr | University of Nice, Cote d'azur, France

ME!> 	Try this:

ME!> % tar xfv filename.tar

ME!> 	That should do it.

	NO, that SHOULD NOT do it...

	Try this:

% uncompress file.tar.Z
% tar -xvf file.tar

	or have an alias such as:

alias ux        'uncompress -c \!:1 | tar xvf - \!:2*'

	in your .alias file.  (or other startup file like .login)
	(The alias is for csh or tcsh)

	Sorry for posting such an idiot message.  I will be punished!!!

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc at raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879