What does '*' symbol in /etc/passwd means?

Janice Gee jag at hpcuhc.cup.hp.com
Sat Jun 1 09:42:59 AEST 1991

>>Recently, I found this '*' curios symbol in /etc/passwd.
>>For example,
>>	bin:*:2:1::/bin:/bin/csh
>>Could you tell me what this symbol means?
On some systems (i.e. HP trusted systems), the password field
contains only a *, and passwords are stored in a separate file,
/.secure/etc/passwd.

| MAILING ADDRESS:              PHONE:                                        |
|    Janice Gee                    (408)447-0898                              |
|    MS 47LC                    TELNET (within HP):                           |
|    Hewlett Packard               1-447-0898                                 |
|    19447 Pruneridge Ave.      FAX:                                          |
|    Cupertino, CA 95014           (408)447-0336                              |