What does '*' symbol in /etc/passwd means?

IM EMAIL ASST SYS ADMIN aeba-im-o-e2 at berlin-emh1.army.mil
Wed Jun 12 22:32:28 AEST 1991

>>Also, could be a convention for locking the login.  If the superuser
>>had typed in the '*', then noone can log in as bin.  I know of several
>>systems that used the '*' symbol to lock logins.  "used" is past tense
>>because they ran into problems using it as it is a UNIX metacharacter.
                                                   ^^^^^^^ a lie ^^^^^

A few people have asked me to be specific about what problems were had.
Well, I lied.  The problem was not due to the fact that '*' can be special.
After checking with the person that told me not to use '*' in the password
field, I find that the real reason was that the security scripts in Hayden's
UNIX System Security by Kochan and Wood would choke on the '*'.

flames to,

Ken Gibson
|  SGT Kendrick J. Gibson          aeba-im-o-e2 at berlin-emh1.army.mil  |
|  Asst. System Administrator; U.S. Army Berlin Electronic-mail Host  |
|  I'd rather be telecommuting.               ETS/AUTOVON:  332-6714  |
DISCLAIMER:  My employer has used brainwashing techniques on me; I might
share opinions with them.