Help making object file archives

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Thu Jun 13 07:44:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun12.121206.26970 at ircam.fr> Peter Wyngaard writes:
>to write the (gnu)makefiles for them.  I don't like the built-in implicit
>rule for making an archive member from an object file because it does an
>'ar' for each object file.  This is VERY slow.
[stuff deleted]

Quite simple actually.  Try this:

UNIX_L=/usr/lib/libmine.a
ALL_OBJECTS =	parse nx_wk_dy strmem mktime [etc ...]

$(UNIX_L):	$(foreach o, $(ALL_OBJECTS), $o.o)
	ar r $(UNIX_L) $?

The only problem is that you are left with .o files.  This is what
the standard method avoids.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government