syslog.conf question

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Wed Jun 5 20:38:23 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of eric at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Eric Halil):
:We're running SunOS 4.1 and I've had problems with the syslog.conf file.
:
:When I have the following line in my syslog.conf
:
:    local6.info;local6.err;local6.warning			/some/file
:
:and I try logging to LOG_INFO it doesn't write to /some/file though
:both LOG_WARNING and LOG_ERR get logged to /some/file ok.
:
:But, if I have
:
:    local6.err;local6.warning;local6.info			/some/file
:
:they ALL get logged properly to /some/file.
:
:Is this a problem with my conf file configuration, or a bug in syslogd or ...

Only specify the *highest* syslog priority you are concerned about.
The conf file means log UP TO that level.  Mixing them on the same
line will confuse things, as will having *.foo entries except at
the front of the line.  syslogd -d, or source code, can help you
figure this out.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist at convex.com	convex!tchrist
	    "Perl is to sed as C is to assembly language."  -me