I'm learning UNIX and I have a simple question

P E Smee exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk
Fri Jun 21 19:22:00 AEST 1991

In article <jpope.677361841 at sysp1> jpope at hq.af.mil (i991x) writes:

>    I have been recently moved to a new job that requires me to learn UNIX.  I
>have a moderate programming background and I have worked on DOS in the past.
>One of the things I am currently learning is "pipes" and "redirected output."

I'd *strongly* recommend that you go out and buy a copy of Kernighan
and Pike's book, 'The Unix Programming Environment'.  Read it starting
at the front (don't be tempted to use it as a ref until after you've
read it).  Work out all the examples.  By the time you hit the middle
of the book, you'll be able to answer questions like this, rather than
asking them.  As I recall (been a long time) it took me about an hour
or two per chapter, including doing the exercises and thinking about
why they worked.

(Posted because I think this is good general advice.  If I can get thru
to .mil, I'll try to email some specific hints.)

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee at bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132