fixing a priority to an executable file

Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM
Sun Jun 2 20:55:45 AEST 1991

Ralph> Distribution: usa,local
???

Ralph> Is it possible to have a program start with a higher priority when you
Ralph> execute it from a shell?

[Maybe:]
$ mv program program_real
$ echo nice [some negative priority (only works for the superuser
	though)] program_real > program
$ chmod +x program #+sx ?

anyway, "[only] The super-user may run commands with priority higher
than normal by using a negative increment, e.g., - -10." so watch out
for set-uid shell script temptations.

Ralph> Specifically, I'd like to run C-Kermit at a
Ralph> slightly higher priority (read, it gets MORE CPU time).  I find that
Ralph> file transfers sometimes fail/abort when I run a CPU intensive process
Ralph> while C-Kermit is transferring a file.  This is on a 68030 NeXT computer
Ralph> running NextStep 2.0.  This OS is BSD-ish and built on Mach.