I'm learning UNIX and I have a simple question

i991x jpope at hq.af.mil
Thu Jun 20 06:04:01 AEST 1991

    I have been recently moved to a new job that requires me to learn UNIX.  I
have a moderate programming background and I have worked on DOS in the past.
One of the things I am currently learning is "pipes" and "redirected output."
In the UNIX that I use there is a command "who" which lists the users that
are currently on the system (as well as which terminal, when they logged on,
etc..).  The problem is that they are listed one user per line.
I would like to strip off the first field (the id-name) and output to the
screen four columns (four users per line instead of one) without the other
information about where and when they logged in.
     If there is an easy way to do this, please let me know.  If it entails a
certain command, please give a brief explanation about it (again, I'm new to
UNIX and I am not aware of plethora of commands at my disposal).  Please E-mail
to me (posting will also be acceptable, after all, beggars can't be choosers).