using "man", permissions and nroff :-(

Philip Yzarn de Louraille yzarn at lhdsy1.chevron.com
Sun Jun 30 02:14:27 AEST 1991

In article <SHAWN.91Jun28150615 at litsun.epfl.ch> shawn at litsun.epfl.ch writes:

>hi....i'm having a "permission problem" that i am completely
>stumped on! can someone lend me their expertise? <please?>
>ok. here we go: the following files are of interest:
>	/usr/local/man8/zmore.8
>	/usr/man/man8/zic.8
>THE PROBLEM:
>when i do "man 8 zmore" as root, i get the message "Reformatting page.
>Wait..." and then the page appears.
>when i do "man 8 zmore" as a user, i get the msg   "Reformatting page.
>Wait..." and then the message "Cannot exec binary file.
>			       sh: ./nroff: cannot execute.
>			       done."
>when i do "man 8 zic" it works both as a USER and as ROOT.
Maybe you are running out of disk space (do a df). As root you still
have access to more disk space than as a user.
Just thinking out loud!
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn at chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems
  Chevron Information & Technology Co.      Tel: (213) 694-9232
  P.O. Box 446, La Habra, CA 90633-0446     Fax: (213) 694-7709