Lost Root password.

sivesh pradhaan b23b!rebels!sivesh at ingr.com
Fri Mar 1 02:31:15 AEST 1991

In article <4460011 at hpindda.cup.hp.com>, spero at hpindda.cup.hp.com (Spero Kouloures) writes:
|> > I've got a problem.
|> >
|> > ... We've (well they) lost the root password! ...
|>
|> While this has never happened to me :-) a procedure which we use
|> all the time for fixing corrupt systems it to take the hard disk
|> from the "bad" system,  connect it to another working system,
|> fsck and mount it, then edit any files which require changes
|> (i.e. /etc/passwd).
|>
|> Good Luck,
|>
|> Spero Koulouras

 This indeed is the quickest and easiest way of recovering, but there is an
"official" way of doing this. It is described in the Sys. Adm. guide (sys v
AT&T). According to it, you need to take your system to firmware mode,enter the
firmware passwd and execute /unix. Now login as root (!!) and restore your "/"
file system from backups. Some files are saved in /usr/old too, so take a peek
in there as well. Set the passwd for root and you are all set!!!

I am not sure if this is a standerd way of recovering from a forgotten root
passwd situation or not, but you may give it a shot.

-Sivesh