TALKing to another user

Powers kepowers at mbunix.mitre.org
Thu Mar 7 02:10:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar6.050511.13981 at meteor.wisc.edu> moonunit at meteor.wisc.edu (Chris Bovitz) writes:

>I've been trying to use talk to talk to someone on another system,
>but something's wrong.  When I type "talk user at address", I get the
>standard "[No connection yet]", but then it shows "[Checking for
>invitation on caller's machine]" and hangs there ad infinitum.
>She has set her messages off.  I've even tried "talk user at address tty".

That depends on the type of machines that are involved.  There are two
types of talk protocals that are not compatible.  For instance,
Ultrix and SunOS cannot 'talk' to each other.  Unfortunately, talk
does not realize that an incompatability exists and it just keeps
trying.

--
Kelly-Erin Powers		The MITRE Corporation
Unix Systems Group		Burlington Road