AT&T "nth Edition" vs. "Release n"

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Tue Mar 5 11:16:35 AEST 1991

In article <15385 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In fact UNIX System V was not using the virtual memory system to which
>Chris refers any time in the recent past.  Before the switch to VM a
>la Sun, UNIX System V had been using a "region"-oriented system based
>on concepts similar to DEC's VAX/VMS.

Not on the 3B2. :-)

(The problem with talking about `System V' is that the four `Release N's
are completely different, and a `Release N' for machine A is completely
different from a `Release N' for machine B.  The region VM was in the
VAX versions of VR2 and VR3, and maybe even VR1, if my faulty memory is
giving the right answers.  But the System V source trees for different
platforms were entirely separate.  Keith Bostic once had an argument with
some USDL-type who claimed that merged trees were impossible, even
though 4.3BSD-tahoe had already shipped!)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab EE div (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov