AT&T "nth Edition" vs. "Release n"

xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au
Tue Mar 5 09:53:19 AEST 1991

subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
> I've seen people that use System V and the like refer to their Unix as
> "tenth edition" or "ninth edition", or whatever. I've always seen things as
> "System V release n", or whatever. Anyone know the difference between these
> different naming schemes ?

As it was explained to me, the i'th edition refers to AT&T's i'th edition
of the manuals describing their research OS.  System V release j refers to
the j'th major release of System V (which is just what you'd expect).
System V derives from System III which derives from 6th edition (or there
abouts).  BSD unix derives from 7th edition.

David Newall, who no longer works       Phone:  +61 8 344 2008
for SA Institute of Technology          E-mail: xtdn at lux.sait.edu.au
                "Life is uncertain:  Eat dessert first"