How to set up kermit instead of telnet???

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Tue Mar 12 19:11:10 AEST 1991

  I'm sorry, but I still don't see enough information to be able to help you.
And the information that you *have* provided appears to be rather jumbled and
confusing, which makes it even more difficult.  So, let me outline some
questions that it would help if you would answer:

  1) What is the name of the machine you are trying to go *from*?  What kind
of machine is it?  What operating system is it running? Is it on the network
directly?

  2) What is the name of the machine you are trying to go *to*?  What kind of
machine is it?  What operating system is it running?  Is it on the network
directly?

  3) Do you actually *have* a version of kermit that knows how to do terminal
emulation and display graphics?  As I've said in my last message, the kermit
you have described is not the same as the kermit with which I am familiar on
Unix system.  What version of kermit is it?  What does it print (exactly) when
you start it up?  When you type "help term", what does it gives as the
description for the "term" command?

  4) Alternatively, do you have some other sort of program on the *from* host
that does terminal emulation, or are you expecting the terminal emulation to
take place on the *to* host?  Or are you actually using a tek4010 terminal?
This point is particularly confusing.

  5) What exactly is FLUENT?  Does it run on the *from* host or the *to* host?
How do you normally use it (i.e. we've established that what you're trying to
do to use it now isn't working, but presumably there is some way you have used
it in the past that *has* worked)?

  One final note.  You do not appear to really have a good grasp of the
technical terminology involved in the question you are trying to ask, and that
makes it very difficult for us to understand what you are asking, because
you're not using the right terms at all.  Furthermore (and I don't mean this
as an insult or anything), English doesn't appear to be your native language;
your English is good, but not always clear, and that also makes your question
difficult to understand.

  It would be easier for us to help you if you would run your postings by
someone with more technical experience before posting.  For example, show this
posting to your system administrator and ask *him* to help you answer the
questions.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace