How to set up kermit instead of telnet???

Aron Burns aronb at gkcl.ists.ca
Wed Mar 13 04:37:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar12.104750.19938 at Think.COM> barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <39033 at netnews.upenn.edu> duong at eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
[...]
>>But NO, some how FLUENT doesn't work this way. We have to change the local
>>terminal emulator before we display the graphics (I have know ideas why is
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So he's probably running PC-NFS with telnet on a microcomputer  and wants
to run Kermit instead (MS-Kermit supports Tek emulation and VT320 sixel
graphics, reasonably completely).

[...]
>>the term type to tek when we are running on the Sun). I did try to read the
>>kermit 3.02 manual for setting up the connection and it seem useless...So

Almost useless.  See the section on 'INT14' and networking.

>>here again, what do i have to do to set up kermit instead of using telnet..
[...]

>If the local machine is capable of running an X server, then you could use
>xterm, which includes a Tektronix 4010 emulation mode.

Big performance hit, but it would work.  Cost would also be a factor.

>Since Kermit's primary purpose is to provide file transfer over serial
>lines, it generally doesn't support making other kinds of connections, such
>as connecting over a TCP/IP network.

MS-Kermit, as opposed to C-Kermit and other variants, is designed to
be a termianal emulator as well as do file transfers.  And, it has
built-in functionality with Novell, 3Com, and any network
supporting INT14 redirection ( I gather this is the software interupt
used for the comm port ).

PC-NFS does not support INT14 redirection ( at least not below
3.5, I don't know about the most recent release ).   A product
called BW-NFS does support INT14 redirection.

If he were to load BW-NFS on the micro with the redirector active,
he could then fire up MS-Kermit, 'connect', type 'ATDT systemname'
(as though a modem were attached instead of ethernet), and get a connect
to the systemname system.  At this point Tek and VT{123}xx emulation
is available.

All the regualar PC-NFS functionality is available, as well as some
handy utilities like traceroute.

BW-NFS is produced by a small company in Ancastor, Ontario, Canada,
called Beame and Whiteside Software.  I don't have the number
handy.

Disclaimer:  a satisfied customer.  No financial relationship.

Aaron Burns      	     "Nothing I say on the net is binding
aronb at gkcl.ists.ca         to our corporation"
Toronto, Ontario         "Life is a forge, and the purest metal
(416)392-4310             comes from the hottest fire"