GDB question..

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Mon Mar 11 09:41:52 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar9.173815.19130 at m.cs.uiuc.edu>, joshi at m.cs.uiuc.edu (Anil Joshi) writes:
|> I have a quick question on gdb.
|>
|> I am compiling my program with -g option set and invoking gdb as follows.
|>
|> gdb prog core
|>
|> When I get into gdb and try to examine args/local vars. I am getting a message
|> saying that the variable is not found in the symbol table. Is'nt -g option
|> supposed to save the symbol table information for me?

  Were you in the function declaring those variables when you tried to access
them?  If not, did you use gdb's syntax for telling it to look in a particular
function for a variable?

|> Also, how would one go about getting gdb documentation?

  GDB comes with extensive documentation, in info format.  We have pretty much
no way of knowing where that documentation is installed on your system; if you
can't find it, I would suggest you ask your site administrator for help.  You
can start looking by running "C-h i" inside emacs and seeing if one of the
menu items listed is "GDB".

  By the way, it usually helps when posting a question to mention what
type of machine and operating system you're using, and what version of the
software in question you're using.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace